Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Vortex

I was just given a book, The Vortex, by Esther and Jerry Hicks, for my 50th birthday. I finished it in a few days and have been practicing watching my emotions to see if I am in alignment with Source, as they call God, or if I am not. And when I am not than I am focusing on what I do not want instead of what I want. The whole premise is that the Vortex is the becoming of our thoughts before they manifest in our physical reality. We have created this world of contrasts for us to manifest what we truly want; although we often go through experiences to show us what we don't want. If we stay focused on what we don't want then we just keep getting the experience of what we don't want.

These teachings are similar to A Course in Miracles, in that no one or thing is there to fulfill a lack. If one is out of alignment with Source, with that great feeling that everything is perfect right now and is manifesting exactly as I have created it, then the desire is based on fear, of a need for some outside fulfillment. No one or thing can bring us happiness; yet desires are the pigment by which we paint our life.

The book has a list of False Premises that I found are good reminders. Here are a few with my commentary.

#1 I am either physical or Non-Physical, either dead or alive.

When one meditates, or remembers one's dreams, or goes into the realm of the imagination or pure thinking, one experiences the non-physical world. And when one breaks down physical matter to the smallest element what is left? Energy, space. Am I in my body or is my body in me? Or is it both?

#2 My parents, because they were here long before I was born, and because they are my parents, know better than I do what is right and wrong for me.

This is a tough one for me as a teacher and parent, for I want to instill a trust for the little ones in the adults in their lives; so this is something I wouldn't burden children in believing. However, it is true in the sense that most adults are not in alignment with Source so thus are acting out of fear and not true love, which trusts in the inherent wisdom of the child and what the child brings in. That is why in Waldorf education we teachers are there to guide and not direct the children, not to fill them up with facts and ideas of what they should become. We know that they bring with them a wisdom of what they are to do that goes beyond our ken. When I was going to college I listened too much to my parents' "shoulds" and not to what I really wanted. Now I have two children going into college and am just encouraging them to follow what excites them, not what I think is practical or prudent. After all, we do not own our children; they only come through us and have their destinies calling them.

#3 If I push hard enough against unwanted things, they will go away.

In other words: What you resist, persists. Focus on what you want and not on what you don't want.

No comments:

Post a Comment